Neheim

Neheim cathedral and market square

The parish church St. Johannes Baptist (1894/1914) had a antecessor church of the year 1822. Because of its size and bulkiness the parish church is called "Sauerländer-Dom" (Sauerland cathedral). Around the cathedral, on the market square and in the pedestrian zone are numerous possibilities for a shopping expedition. Here the weekly market takes place as well (Wednesdays and Saturdays).

town map

Synagogue (Mendener Str.)

It was built in 1875 and badly damaged in the "Pogromnacht" (night of broken glass) on the 10.11.1938.

After various uses the building was purchased privately in the 80ies and splendidly restored.

 

The "Fresekenhof"
(today's building from 1680), built right on top of Neheim's town wall, used to secure the town gate towards the bridge across the river Ruhr. Now it accommodates various associations as well as the Franz-Stock-Exhibition.

town map

 

The castle-house Gransau (Burgstr.)

It used to be owned by the "Erbdrosten" (Seneschal) of Fürstenberg-Neheim, in the 15th and 16th century; since 1763 it has been in possession of the Cosack family. This house, as well, has been built directly against Neheim's town wall and even today its well-fortified character is easily recognizable from the west side.

The "Drostenhof" ( Seneschal's homestead) (Burgstr.)

It is one of the oldest still preserved buildings in Neheim and the birthplace of Wilhelm of Fürstenberg, who was the German Grandmaster in the 16th century.

Today's timbered building, seat of Neheim's "Amtsdrosten", is dated into the 17th century.

town map