Arnsberg

Alt-Arnsberg - “old” Arnsberg

Classicism-Quarter with Neumarkt

1816 the Prussians came to Arnsberg and made it the seat of their government. In order to provide the officials with adequate accommodations the quarter was built under the Prussian king Friedrich Wilhelm III. The building works were under the supervision of Karl Friedrich von Schinkel. Classicistic streets of houses around the new market, with "Auferstehungskirche" (Resurrection Church), Königstraße and Brückenplatz form the picture of the town.

town map

"Propsteikirche" (Provost's Church) St. Laurentius

It was the former Minster of the convent "Wedinghausen", of which two wings of the cloister with vestry, chapter house and count's chapel as well as the grammar school building and the library, are still preserved today. During the "exile in Arnsberg" of cologne's cathedral treasure (1794-1803) the relics of the three Magi were temporarily kept here.

Opening hours:

Tuesday - Saturday 9.30 h - 12.00 h
14.30 h - 18.00 h
Sunday open all day
Monday closed

town map 

Especially worth seeing: The Apsis with artistic glass window of the 13th century, the Epitaph-altar of the 17th century with a scene of the three Magi, the Baroque lectern and the confessionals for the former Minster Grafschaft-Schmallenberg, the Romanic crucifix at the right transept at the baptistery, Grafentumba, old buildings of the monastery with cloister and Romanic wall frescos.

Hirschberg gate

It found its place at today's location in 1826 only. The uniquely felicitous portal was built in 1753 as a main portal for the hunting lodge Hirschberg of the elector Clemens August of Cologne which was situated in the Arnsberg forest. It shows dramatically vivid portrayal of the coursing.

 

Ehmsen-Monument

It is situated in the forest "Eichholz" (oak wood) with a wonderful view across the old and new parts of the town. The Monument has been dedicated to the forest councillor Ehmsen, who founded the "Sauerländer Gebirgsverein" (SGV) in 1890. With about 50,000 members, the SGV is one of today's biggest leisure and natural environment associations in North Rhine Westphalia. Since 1996 the SGV has its headquarters in Arnsberg again: www.s-g-v.de

Old Market with bell tower

With the old town hall (1710), the bell tower and Maximilian's fountain (1779), it forms the "good parlour" of "old" Arnsberg.

The column of the fountain was a present of the prince elector Maximilian Friedrich (1784-1791) to his Westphalian town of residence. The town's Madonna (Swabian, around 1500) in the front wall of the town hall has mysteriously survived a multitude of town fires undamaged. At the north side of the town hall you find the emblem of Cologne's prince electors, the symbol of Cologne's governance in Arnsberg (1369-1802).

The bell tower, as a town's landmark with its baroque hood, can be seen from far away. The town's chapel next door is a Gothic hall church from the 14th century.

town map

 

The castle ruin

reminds of the, under the prince elector Clemens August in the years 1730 until 1734 according to the plans of Johann Conrad Schlaun totally redesigned renaissance-castle, which was destroyed in 1762 - during the "Seven Years' War". Models of the castle are to be admired in "Sauerland-Museum".

Around the year 1100 the counts of Arnsberg build a fortress on the "Schloßberg" (castle hill). During the following years and centuries the Arnsberg castle sees a history full of changes - first under the counts and, later on, under the prince electors of Cologne. Under the prince elector Clemens August it gets its last magnificent upgrading as a hunting and residence lodge.

town map

 

The "Oberfreistuhl"

As the seat of the Westphalian vehmic court in Arnsberg it was of great importance. It was mentioned for the first time in 1174 and in the 15th century received the authorization to call all the Westphalian "Freigrafen" (free judges) in "common sections" together annually, on certain days, in order to check on their dispensation of justice. Arnsberg kept its importance as a legal domicile, by being seat of the local court and the district court, administrative court and industrial tribunal until today.



town map

 

The green tower

It is close to the "Oberfreistuhl" and is, together with the "Limps tower", bell tower and the tower at "Landsberger Hof" one of the best preserved peels of "old" Arnsberg.


town map